Monday, February 8, 2016

Student Blog #3: Racism and Social Justice

We often overlook the large amounts of social injustice and racism in our everyday lives until something brings it to our attention. Recently I received a gentle reminder of this at a popular hotel downtown Saskatoon. My two friends and I were entering the hotel on a Saturday evening at the same time as a young aboriginal couple. While we all stood waiting for the elevator, a security officer approached the group and began to ask the couple their first and last name, while writing everything down on a piece of paper. At first I thought that this may be just protocol to document visitors of guest, but then the security officer left without taking any other names. I was shocked at how someone could be so blatantly prejudice and not even see anything wrong with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Respectful comments are welcome. All comments are moderated by the blog author.